Monday, September 11, 2006

Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson

I've been thinking lately about how much I'm willing to forgive in a novel before it goes from a thumbs up to a thumbs down. And the novel Lighthousekeeping is definitely a thumbs up because as I read I was affected by the language, moved by the characters, curious about the story... and yet in the end, it wasn't an entirely successful novel. Lots of things feel dropped (incomplete) and the plot never really goes anywhere (Winterson never seems too interested in plot) and yet I'm so appreciative of the quality of the writing to the degree that I'd recommend the book to others, consider teaching it, and certainly take a second look at it if I ever had the time. So I guess I'm willing to forgive a fair amount as long as your images are good.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I read 'Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit' recently, and found it to be successful and affective, though there were some strategies I became impatient with. Ultimately I think the impatience was crucial. Also read 'Art Objects' (illuminative) and will read 'A Veil of Words' soon.