Sunday, July 09, 2006

Ssh, Reading in Progress

What do people who don't read receive as gifts? Due to turning thirty-five (yes, happy birthday to me) as well as a recent pilgrimmage to a used bookstore, pilfering of my mother's library, and finally getting my library card at the remarkable Delray Beach Public Library I now have much to read: Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, Our Mutual Friend by Frederick Busch, The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington, Beauty and Love by Seyh Galip, Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King, Poet's Choice by Edward Hirsch (who I have a big crush on), The Hills at Home by Nancy Clark, A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley... This is compounded by not having yet read all the books I got as Christmas presents (Young Turk by Maris Farhi...) and by one of my favorite birthday gifts: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (yes, I made little checkmarks next to all the books I've already read and started post-it flagging ones I want to read soon). Not to mention the previously mentioned Complete New Yorker....

But today I'm reading Good in Bed and I'm enjoying it, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Su said...

I'd get ya a book for your birthday, but it sounds like you need more bookshelves. Welcome to the over-35 club.

A. P. Bucak said...

I actually keep many of my unread books in a wicker laundry basket in the living room (classy!). Did you notice I read your copy (purchased at the Coastlines fundraiser) of Empire Falls? I'm not totally behind.